It seems like just last week we were enjoying summer cocktails and selecting the perfect bathing suit! However, this sudden 60 degree weather in New England has us turning to our closets to get ready for fall. The seasonal transition doesn't have to be a daunting task - here are 8 simple items to update your autumn outfits!
(1) The striped tee - How is it that you don't own this already? A classic sailor stripe tee can be the basis for all kinds of outfits - try it with dark skinny jeans, or a pleated leather skirt. (J. Crew Striped Cotton Top)
(2) The basic bootie - Of course you need a pair in black, but I also like to have a flesh-toned pair to wear with skirts on warm afternoons. (BCBG Paris Catinax Bootie)
(3) The army jacket - An army jacket is how we regular folk wear the 90's-style grunge happening on the current runways. Throw it on over a little black dress, or, even better, a flowered babydoll. (Rag & Bone Knit Chamberlin Safari Jacket, via Bloomingdales)
(4) The classic belt - It is what it is, but you need to have it. Belt it over the aforementioned flowered babydoll dress and army jacket. (Brooks Brothers Gold Buckle Dress Belt)
(5) The beanie - Remember what I said about grunge being back in style? I wasn't kidding! Add this beanie on top of your striped tee and dark skinny jeans (maybe along with your army jacket). (GANT Plain Cable Hat)
(6) The carry-everything tote - I don't know about you, but I carry around a ton of stuff - wallet, phone, makeup, water bottle, book, notepad, camera, umbrella, a snack... the point is, I like a tote that can carry a lot without looking sloppy. The Michael Kors Hamilton always does the trick! (MICHAEL Michael Kors LArge Hamilton Saffiano Tote)
(7) The chambray shirt - Sure, you can wear it as a shirt. But! You can also wear it as a jacket over a tank or tee, belted over a dress, or peeking out from underneath a sweater. This shirt is the workhorse of your wardrobe. (Madewell Perfect Chambray Ex-Boyfriend Shirt in Ferrous Wash)
(8) The polished case - Ok, this one maybe isn't essential, but I couldn't resist a sophisticated passport cover in cheerful polka dots! (Kate Spade New York Carlisle Street Passport Holder)
All products available in The Mall at Chestnut Hill. See more fashion and style tips at the Simon Style Setter Blog.