Men: listen up. It's not that hard to look cool, hip, stylish, or fashionable. Don't be scared. Get the essentials, some seasonal trendy pieces, and your set.
Here's what you need:
1. T-shirts. Not Hanes. I wash a boat load of my husbands, and while they make great undershirts (or messy pottery-making attire), they are what they are: cheap. Invest in the standard colors: gray, black, and white-or you could go crazy and throw a tan in there. The Gap has a ton of styles (casual, v-neck, etc.).
2. Jeans. Just like the ladies, you may have to try on a gazzilion pairs before you find the best fit. Again, Gap carries a ton of styles and washes, as does American Eagle, Abercrombie and Fitch, and JC Penny.
3. Sweaters. Shop Banana Republic, Old Navy, Gap, Express, and Macy's for these. Grab a black v-neck, a few mock zip ups in tan, and a few cables in various colors. If you are brave-rock the cardigan. Please. There is something super sexy about a guy in a cardi.
4. Leather jacket-this piece is a must for both men and woman. I am still sad that Wilson's Leather closed at the Empire, but fear not-they are still online. Or, check out Jos. A. Banks, Macy's, and Revolution for a good selection.
5. Blazer. A blazer can go from business to casual pretty easily-so this is a piece that will get a ton of wear. Invest a little. Express has a great selection, as does Jos. A. Banks. Macy's and Younkers.
6. Accessories: Aviators look great on everyone. I suggest grabbing a few inexpensive pairs at Target or even Walmart. If you're anything like me, you lose one pair a day. And every man needs a watch. Find a good standard at Macy's or Younkers in the mall.
7. Finally, you'll need some shoes. I love, love, love a great pair of leather or suede driving mocs. Also standard? A pair of leather boots. Brown or black will do (or both if your budget agrees). Banana Republic carries some great shoes for men, as does Journey's and Macy's.