Whether you love your job or not, going to work when it's 80 degrees and sunny isn't easy for anyone. After all, there are beaches to be laid upon! Lunches to be enjoyed al fresco! Bikes to be ridden! (Insert your favorite summer activity here!).
Unfortunately, most of us don't have a choice but to go into the office on the most beautiful days of the year. So what can possible make going to work in the summer a little easier? Having great outfits to wear to the office (and ones that can instantly transition into after-work dinner, cocktails or shopping, so you don't have to waste one minute of sunshine) certainly doesn't hurt.
These looks are polished enough for a day at work, but the black and white color palette mean they're sophisticated enough for a night out, too.
1. The bright necklace, from Banana Republic adds a pop of summer color.
2. Color-blocking takes an easy summer t-shirt up a notch. Make sure to tuck it in! At Vince.
3. White pants are the epitome of summer office chic. I love this straight-leg version from BCBG.
4. Ankle strap heels are simple, but sexy.
1. A striped blazer from Banana Republic feels summer-time nautical. (Take off the jacket and add a chunky gold necklace if you're going out after work).
2. Keep cool in a classic white cotton t-shirt from the Gap.
3. There's no other time of year that you can get away with wearing pants this sunny-yellow color. At J. Crew.
4. Reward yourself for working hard all summer with this watch from David Yurman.
5. Leopard-print sandals add fun.
The other great part about both of these outfits? All of the pieces can be mixed-and-matched! Wear the blazer with the white pants, or pair the white t-shirt and necklace with the yellow ones, for example.
Kaitlin Madden blogs at Lux & Concord. Follow her on Twitter at @Kaitmadden and @luxandconcord.